Sunday 9 June 2013

Run Paradise

What do you do on your holidays when it’s a 35C tropical steam bath? Go for a run of course! I know, that’s nuts, but try telling the over 4,000 locals and visitors who took part in today’s ‘Run Paradise’ Laguna Phuket International Marathon that! 

Yes, while I was fast asleep, serious marathon runners and some who just wanted to test their mettle lined up for the 42 kilometre full marathon, the 21k half marathon or a choice of fun runs/walks, all to celebrate the joy of fitness as well as help raise THB I million (A$34,405) for Laguna Phuket Foundation’s ‘Run for Our Kids’ initiative, supporting sustainable school programs on Phuket. 





Forty-five countries were represented in the race, from babies in strollers to over 80 years of age, with 90 Aussies turning out for the event. The oldest runner was an 84-year-old Thai woman, running the 10.5k run; and I saw lots of little kids on the move who put this terribly unfit lard-ass to shame. Now I feel guilty about staying in bed. 



The family that runs together stays together!
By the time I wandered down to the event around 9am, participants were already pouring over the finish line, victorious and very sweaty. Mind you, a downpour at 8am probably cooled things down a little, but there were some pretty exhausted looking people heading back to their hotel rooms to cool off.

“How’d you go?” I ask one Australian couple returning back to the Dusit Thani, where I'm also staying. “Great!” they replied. “Time for a swim!” 

The winner of the full marathon was Michael Page from Great Britain, who finished in 2:41:02. I wasn’t even out of bed when he crossed the line!







No comments:

Post a Comment