Thursday 1 December 2011

Delightful D2


One of my favourite places to stay in Chiang Mai is dusitD2, a hip, urbane hotel right in the heart of the Night Bazaar just off Chang Klang Rd. Everything about this place just makes me smile, from its spacious, funky lobby with oversized vases filled with fruit to its welcome drinks in silly, wobble-bottomed glasses.



Clean lines and simple, functional design maximises space in its small guest rooms; and amusing touches like silk bed balls and a nightly gift box with goodies such as fortune cookies are a sweet touch.

Downstairs, Moxie dishes up a killer breakfast buffet; while the Mix Bar is a great place for a quiet cocktail, with chill out vibes and the best lemongrass martinis in town.

But the key to any hotel experience is the staff, and D2’s groovy young thangs never disappoint. Dressed in orange boardies, suspenders and Converse, they are always helpful, smiley and prepared to go the extra mile for guests. One year, my visit happened to coincide with my birthday; when I was presented with a birthday cake in the morning, I assumed one of my travel companions had ordered it. They hadn’t – the staff had simply noticed my date of birth on my passport and surprised me.

And if you happen to be in the lobby at 2pm, you’re in for another hilarious surprise – every day at shift change, the staff break out into a flash-mob style choreographed dance, strutting their stuff to Cole Porter’s ‘Delovely’.

“It’s delightful, it’s delicious, it’s delovelyyyyyyy!” Don’t miss.



No comments:

Post a Comment